Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Toes on TV

So, this commercial plays on Hulu+ a lot.  Of course, it strikes a rather personal chord with my husband and me.  We get pretty annoyed every time we see it.  It's rather obvious why it bothers us.  To claim that wearing minimal shoes is better than being barefoot is pretty darn inaccurate.  As you see in the commercial, which I have linked below, a Kung-Fu master steps on an acorn and lets out a rather humorous cry.  If he were truly adapt to a barefoot lifestyle, an acorn on what appears to be a soft, moist earthen floor would not be an issue, especially for someone who is supposed to be trained in martial arts, which is practiced sans shoes.  Okay, I'm not completely insane.  I know this is just a commercial and yeah, it's kinda cute.  But every time we see it I swear I hear mh growl a little.




On the flip side, however, my son and I were watching Sesame Street one rainy day and this song came on.  It, too, struck a personal chord, but this was a much happier one.  I played it for mh when he got home.  We usually keep our son barefoot if we are in our own house/yard, but he wears footwear at the park and on concrete and out in places he'll be walking.  He still has super soft baby skin, though he does seem to fancy a shoeless lifestyle (just like daddy!).  He has begun to take off his socks and shoes when he's in the stroller, car-seat, or at home.  When he tugs at his socks (and at times we are okay with him discarding his footwear) we'll sing this song.  We feel it's beneficial for him to experience skin to earth contact (my god, I sound like such a hippie mom...).  He began walking when he was only 7 months old, and I wonder if it's because he has never worn standard shoes.  He wears moccasins, which shape to his foot (as opposed to hard soled shoes that make the wearer's foot eventually shape to it).  Regardless, this song was a little ray of sunshine on our feet.





No comments:

Post a Comment